Dr. Mel Kahan
- With the DFCM since 2000
- DFCM Associate Professor and Clinician Scientist
- Affiliations: Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Toronto
- Degrees: MD CCFP FRCPC FCFP; MHSc
Selected Research Project(s)
- 2007-2009 Kahan M., Klass D (PI). An educational program to promote safe opioid prescribing by physicians and pharmacists. Canadian Patient Safety Institute. $180,000
- 2003-2008 Midmer D., Kahan M., Ordean A., (co-PI). Pregnancy-Related Issues in the Medical Management of Addictions (PRIMA). Lawson Foundation $353,000
- 2004-2006 Kahan M (PI). Addictions and Shared Care: A demonstration project. Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-term Care, Primary Health Care Transition Fund $250,000
- 2000-2004 Kahan M., Midmer D. CREATE Canada (Curriculum Renewal and Evaluation of Addiction Training and Education). Lawson Foundation $440,000.
- 2004-2006 Ordean A (PI), Kahan M. Primary care for pregnant substance users. Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Primary Health Care Transition Fund $190,000.
Office Address & Contact
- St Joseph’s Health Center
30 The Queensway
Toronto, ON M6R 1B5
Fax 416 530-6160
- * Medical education in addiction
- * Evidence-based guidelines on addiction and primary care
- * Clinical outcomes of hospital-based and primary care-based addiction treatment
- * Pregnancy and substance use
- * Emergency protocols for management of substance withdrawal
Meldon Kahan is currently an Associate professor in the Department of Family Medicine at University of Toronto, and is the Medical Director of the Addiction Medicine Service. He has presented and written extensively on addiction and primary care.