Assessment and Evaluation Issues in Health Practitioner Field-based Education
To develop consultant skills related to the assessment systems and tools, curriculum tools, and program evaluation for Health Practitioner Field-based Education using best practices and best evidence in:
- Assessment of learners
- Development and monitoring of assessment and curriculum planning tools
- Development and monitoring of assessment systems
Students will undertake projects exploring topical issues in the assessment as well as developing assessment instruments such as examinations, in-training evaluation reports, and simulations. These projects will include class presentations as well as final written reports.
- Describe, develop, analyze, and evaluate learner assessment in health practitioner field-based education
- Describe practices related to underperformance and remediation of learners and provide recommendations for improving performance
- Recognize practices related to developing effective feedback systems
- Design and develop a functional assessment or evaluation tool for use in health practitioner field-based education
- Design and develop an assessment system for health practitioner field-based education
- Demonstrate an understanding of connections between assessments, curriculum mapping, and program evaluation in health practitioner field-based education
Format: Lecture / Seminar
Class Participation: 15%
Group Project: 40%
Assessment Instruments–Development and Analysis: 45%
Glover Takahashi S, Abbott C, Oswald A, Frank JR. CanMeds Teaching and Assessment Tools Guide. Ottawa: Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada; 2015.
Additional required and supplementary readings will be provided by the faculty.