Departmental Award: Excellence in Teaching
- Early Career Teaching (5 years or less)
- Sustained Teaching (more than 5 years)
These awards recognize outstanding teachers in the Department of Family and Community Medicine.
Any faculty member who has taught learners in the DFCM across the medical continuum such as:
- Teaching in the pre-clerkship curriculum (including FMLE)
- Hospital-based core clerkship teaching
- Community-based core clerkship teaching
- Electives teaching
- Graduate Studies
- Faculty Development
- Continuing Education
The selection committee will consider one or more of the following criteria to assess the impact of the nominee’s teaching:
- Documentation of teaching excellence.
- Commitment; quantity of teaching, accessibility to learners, evidence of self- development in teaching methods, and research/publications on teaching methods.
- Demonstrated ability to stimulate learners; encourages interest in and enthusiasm for subject, displays good rapport with learners, leads learners to think critically, analytically and independently, and to organize their own learning.
- Effective use of appropriate teaching resources and instructional media.
- Teaching evaluations (Early Career category should submit, if available)
One award winner will be selected from each of the following categories:
- Fully Affiliated Sites
- Community Affiliated Sites (includes FMLE, teaching practices, and integrated community sites)
- Community Sites
- HPEs Fully Affiliated Sites
- HPEs Community Affiliated Sites
Please review our Site Affiliation Table to determine which category applies to your nominee.
Nominations can be made by any faculty or staff member of the DFCM, including self- nomination. The nominations will be considered by the DFCM Central Awards Committee. The nominator is responsible for the collection and submission of the award nomination package and informing the nominee of their nomination.
Nominations for a DFCM Award of Excellence must include the following:
- Completed nomination form that includes the supporting signature of a teaching site Chief, DFCM Program Director, Division Head or Supervisor.
- Two letters of support indicating why this individual is being nominated in the selected category. Letters that are the most helpful address the criteria for the award and present evidence supporting the nominee’s excellence in those criteria.
- Additional material documenting evidence of excellence may be submitted. A maximum of 3 additional documents can be added to the nomination. These may include letters of support, project proposals, educational materials, etc. A letter from a learner is strongly recommended.
- For Sustained Teaching category only - Teaching evaluations (including TES scores) within the past 10 years.
Please download the nomination form and include it in the nomination package:
Please submit by email the completed nomination form and corresponding award application documentation in a single PDF file by April 15 (annually) to email@example.com