Select publications from the Quality and Innovation team
QI Capacity-Building in Primary Care
- Kiran T, Rozmovits L, O'Brien P. Factors influencing family physician engagement in practice-based quality improvement: Qualitative study. Can Family Physician. 2023 May; 69(5):e113-e119.
Kiran T, Ramji N, Derocher M, Girdhari R, Davie S, Lam-Antoniades M. Ten tips for advancing a culture of improvement in primary care. BMJ Quality and Safety. Online First: 31 October 2018. doi: 10.1136/bmjqs-2018-00845
Improving Quality in Academic Practices
Sakina Walji, Tutsirai Makuwaza, Erin Bearss, Sahana Kukan, Michelle Greiver, Babak Aliarzadeh, Karuna Gupta, Ruth Heisey, Noah Ivers, June Carroll et al. Innovative family history application-Provider’s perspectives.The Annals of Family Medicine Nov 2023, 21 (Supplement 3) 4623; DOI: 10.1370/afm.22.s1.4623
- Najarali Z, Mah H, Toubassi D. Optimizing handover for family medicine outpatients using an electronic medical record–integrated tool. Canadian Family Physician April 2021; 67 (4) 303-304.
- Ivers N M, Schwalm J, Bouck Z, McCready T, Taljaard M, Grace S L et al. Interventions supporting long term adherence and decreasing cardiovascular events after myocardial infarction (ISLAND): pragmatic randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2020; 369 :m1731 doi:10.1136/bmj.m1731
Walji S, Carroll J. Patient-Guided Tours: A Patient-Centered Methodology to Understand Patient Experiences of Health Care. Ann Fam Med. 2023 May-Jun;21(3):269-273. doi: 10.1370/afm.2971. PMID: 37217337; PMCID: PMC10202514.
Agarwal P, Wang R, Meaney C, et al. Sociodemographic differences in patient experience with primary care during COVID-19: results from a cross-sectional survey in Ontario, Canada. BMJ Open 2022;12:e056868. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2021-056868
- Walji S, Carroll JC, Haber C. Experiences of patients with a disability in receiving primary health care. Canadian Family Physician 2021;67(7):517. doi:10.46747/cfp.6707517
- Zhong A, Davie S, Wang R, Kiran T. Understanding disparities in primary care patient experience. Canadian Family Physician 2021;67(7):e178. doi:10.46747/cfp.6707e178
- Kiran T, Wells D, Okrainec K, Kennedy C, Devotta K, Mabaya G, Phillips L, Lang A, O'Campo P. Patient and caregiver priorities in the transition from hospital to home: results from province-wide group concept mapping. BMJ Quality & Safety 2020;29:390-400.
- DeRocher M, Davie S, Kiran T. Using positive deviance to improve timely access in primary care. BMJ Open Quality 2021;10:e001228. doi: 10.1136/bmjoq-2020-001228
- Davie S, Kiran T. Partnering with patients to improve access to primary care. BMJ Open Quality, April 2020; 9(2):e000777. doi 10.1136/bmjoq-2019-000777.
Azza Eissa, Robyn Rowe, Andrew Pinto, George N. Okoli, Kendall M. Campbell, Judy C. Washington, José E. Rodríguez. Implementing High-Quality Primary Care Through a Health Equity Lens. The Annals of Family Medicine Mar 2022, 20 (2) 164-169; DOI: 10.1370/afm.2785
Kiran T. Keeping the front door open: ensuring access to primary care for all in Canada. CMAJ December 12, 2022 194 (48) E1655-E1656
- Shah N, Latifovic L, Meaney C, Moineddin R, Derocher MB, Alhaj M, Kiran T. Association Between Clinic-Reported Third Next Available Appointment and Patient-Reported Access to Primary Care. JAMA Network Open. Dec 2022; 5 (12):e2246397. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.46397
- Spithoff S, Hum S, Mogic L, Meaney C, Moineddin R, Kiran T. Examining Access to Primary Care for People With Opioid Use Disorder in Ontario, Canada: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Network Open, September 2022; 5(9)
- Li E, Latifovic L, Etz R, Ramji N, Glazier RH, Kiran T. How the Novel Person-Centered Primary Care Measure Performs in Canada. J Am Board Fam Med. 2022 Jul-Aug; 35 (4):751-761. doi: 10.3122/jabfm.2022.04.210427
- O'Neill B, Ferrer R, O'Brien P, Watt G, Gottlieb L, Pinto A, Willems S, Currie J, Harriott D, Leitch J, Zsager A, Kidd M, Kiran T. Improving Equity Through Primary Care: Proceedings of the 2019 Toronto International Conference on Quality in Primary Care. Annals of Family Medicine, July 2020;18(4):364-369. doi: 10.1370/afm.2560.
- Pinto A, Aratangy T, Abramovich A, Devotta K, Nisenbaum R, Wang R, Kiran T. Routine collection of sexual orientation and gender identity data in primary care: a mixed-methods study. CMAJ January 21, 2019 191 (3) E63-E68; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.180839
- Dainty K, Kiran T. “Spending the day with your Family Health Team”: A Rapid Ethnography of a Patient-Centred Quality Improvement Event. British Journal of General Practice Open, May 1, 2020; 4(1): bjgpopen20X101002. doi: 10.3399/bjgpopen20X101002.
- Kiran T, Tepper J, Gavin F. Working with patients to improve care. CMAJ, February 10, 2020; 192(6):E125-E127. doi: 10.1503/cmaj.190439.
- Kiran T, Davie S, MacLeod P. Citizen engagement in primary care. Annals of Family Medicine. March/April 2018 16(2): 175. [innovation report].
- Tilli T, Hunchuck J, Dewhurst N, Kiran T. Opioid Stewardship: Implementing a Proactive, Pharmacist-led Intervention for Patients Co-Prescribed Opioids and Benzodiazepines at an Urban Academic Primary Care Centre. BMJ Open Quality, April 2020; 9(2):e000635. doi: 10.1136/bmjoq-2019-000635.
- Naimer M, Munro J, Singh S, Permaul J. Improving Family Medicine Residents’ Opioid Prescribing: A Nurse Practitioner-Led Model. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, October 2019; 15(9): 661-665.
- Lofters AK, Wu F, Frymire E, et al. Cancer Screening Disparities Before and After the COVID-19 Pandemic. JAMA Netw Open. 2023;6 (11):e2343796.
- Nnorom O, Sappong-Kumankumah A, Olaiya OR, Burnette M, Akor N, Shi N, Wright A, Gebreyesus A, Gebremikael L, Lofters A. Afrocentric screening program for breast, colorectal, and cervical cancer among immigrant patients in Ontario. Canadian Family Physician. 2021;67(11):843. doi:10.46747/cfp.6711843
- Lofters A, Kiran T. Toolkit for health care professionals: Improving cancer screening rates in your practice and reducing related disparities. Toronto: Centre for Urban Health Solutions; November 2019.
- Lofters A, Baker N, Schuler A, Rau A, Baxter A, Baxter N, Kucharski E, Leung FH, Weyman K, Kiran T. A “tea and cookies” approach: A qualitative study to co-design cancer screening interventions with patients living with low income in Toronto, Canada. Journal of General Internal Medicine, October 21, 2019; doi.org/10.1007/s11606-019-05400-0.
- Kiran T, Davie S, Singh D, Hranilovic S, Pinto A, Abramovich A, Lofters A. Cancer screening rates for people who identify as transgender: a cross-sectional analysis of primary care data. Canadian Family Physician January 2019 65 (1) e30-e3
Data Driven Learning
- Pinto A, Eissa A, Kiran T, Mashford-Pringle A, Needham A, Dhalla I. Considerations for collecting data on race and Indigenous identity during health card renewal across Canadian jurisdictions. CMAJ. Jun 2023, 195 (25) E880-E882
- Stewart A., Craig-Neil A., Hodwitz K., Wang R., Cheng D., Arbess G., Jeon C., Juando-Prats C., Kiran T. Increasing Treatment Rates for Hepatitis C in Primary CareJ Am Board Fam Med. 2023 Aug 9;36(4):591-602. doi: 10.3122/jabfm.2022.220427R1. Epub 2023 Jul 19. PMID: 37468214.
- Desveaux L, Nguyen MD, Ivers NM, Devotta K, Upshaw T, Ramji N, Weyman K, Kiran T. Snakes and ladders: A qualitative study understanding the active ingredients of social interaction around the use of audit and feedback. Transl Behav Med. 2023 May 13;13(5):316-326. doi: 10.1093/tbm/ibac114. PMID: 36694357; PMCID: PMC10182419.
- Kiran T, Moonen G, Bhattacharyya OK, Agarwal P, Bajaj HS, Kim J, Ivers N. Managing type 2 diabetes in primary care during COVID-19. Canadian Family Physician, October, 2020; 66 (10) 745-747