Markham Stouffville Hospital
Markham Stouffville Hospital (MSH) is a progressive, two-site community hospital with leading diagnostic services and clinical programs in acute care medicine and surgery, addictions and mental health and maternal and child rehab/transitional care; all of which are focused on the needs of our rapidly growing communities. Partnering with other specialist providers, the hospital is the centre of community care for the almost 400,000 residents of Markham, Stouffville and Uxbridge.
The Family Medicine Teaching Unit is located in a brand new medical office building attached to the Markham site of the hospital and adjacent to specialists’ offices. It provides enhanced curriculum on global health as outlined in the program details.
Chief of Family Medicine
Dr. Alan Monavvari
Teaching Site Facilities:
- Over 450 physicians, 17 midwives, and 1,900 staff
- Emergency department, extensive mental health program, paediatric and childbirth unit, surgical services, diagnostic services and many inpatient and outpatient services
- Two sites:
- Markham site:
- Brand new, state-of the-art Building B opened 2013 which added 350,000 square feet to the hospital
- New emergency department and expanded Ambulatory Care Centre
- Over 100 new inpatient beds
- Eight new operating rooms
- State-of-the-art Diagnostic Imaging Centre
- Enhanced Maternal Child Centre
- Expanded Mental Health Centre
- Building A renovated in 2014
- Community centre and library located adjacent to the hospital with a physical link to enable physician and staff to easily access the facility’s gym, fitness centre, running track and pools
- Uxbridge site:
- 20-bed hospital serving Uxbridge and surrounding communities for over 50 years
- Small, rural community
- Uxbridge site provides state-of-the-art diagnostics, emergency care and inpatient and outpatient services
- Markham site:
Proximity to downtown Toronto: 40 km, 40-minute drive.
- One of the fastest growing communities in Ontario with a 24% increase in population over the last three years
- One of the most ethnically diverse municipalities in Canada
- York Region has the fourth highest proportion of visible minorities in Canada including individuals of Chinese, South Asian, West Asian and Filipino descent, among many other ethnic and cultural backgrounds
Markham is a beautiful, vibrant community offering a small-town feel with all of the amenities of a large city. Located only 40 minutes from downtown Toronto, Markham is surrounded by farmland and lush landscapes. At the heart of the town is Markham Centre, Markham’s growing downtown, along with the town’s art gallery, museum, community centres and public library.
- 192 parks
- Bicycle paths
- 2,553 acres of green space
- Public transit system