Help Medical Students Make Decisions about their Future Careers
Elective opportunities play a key role in the undergraduate curriculum at the University of Toronto as they help medical students to make decisions regarding their future careers in medicine. By providing students with an opportunity to work with you, you are helping to attract excellent individuals to our discipline.
DFCM prepares you to teach
- Free professional development with MAINPRO-M1 credits
- Student feedback to help you gain insight into your teaching
- We provide you with a Manual for Family Medicine Electives Supervisors which includes information about:
- the curriculum
- the objectives for undergraduate Electives
- How and what to teach
- Practical tips for organization and time management
- Applying for a faculty appointment
- the resources available to DFCM faculty and
- a list of recommended references on teaching.
Supervisors are required to apply for a University of Toronto faculty appointment.
How it works
- You can accept as many or as few students as you are able in two, four or six week blocks
- Group practices are welcome and the teaching may be shared amongst the group as long as there is one primary supervisor
- Your practice can provide some of the following experiences to the student:
- In-hospital care
- Emergency services
- Home visits
- Specialized in a particular area
- At the end of the Elective, you complete a short computer-based evaluation (MedSIS). MedSIS is an internet based registration service for Undergraduate Medical Education (UME) trainees enrolled or enrolling for training through the University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine and its associated training hospitals
To apply to supervise undergraduate Electives students, please complete the following online practice profile. A staff member will be in touch after reviewing the completed form.
- The New Preceptor Practice Profile , which briefly describes your practice facilities and patient population along with the electives proposal which will be added to the electives catalogue.
Electives Supervisor Manual
Download the manual for elective supervisors
DFCM Electives Contacts
Amita Singwi, BEd, MD, CCFP, FCFP
Undergraduate Electives Coordinator
Undergraduate Electives Administrator
500 University Avenue, 5th Floor, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1V7
Tel: 416-978-8135 | Fax: (416) 978-3912