Electives Update (May 2023)
All students applying from outside Temerty UofT, domestic and international, must apply and be confirmed through the national online application AFMC Portal. We advise these students not to contact our preceptors directly. If you receive elective requests from a non-Temerty UofT student, please direct them to the AFMC Portal for information on visiting electives. They can also contact: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help medical students make decisions about their future careers
Elective opportunities play a key role in the undergraduate curriculum at the University of Toronto as they help medical students to make decisions regarding their future careers in medicine. By providing students with an opportunity to work with you, you are helping to attract excellent individuals to our discipline.
DFCM prepares you to teach
- Free professional development with Mainpro+ credits
- Student feedback to help you gain insight into your teaching
- We provide you with a helpful teaching guide. Contents of the Manual for Elective and Selective Supervisors includes:
- program overviews
- mechanics of arranging student placements
- the objectives for undergraduate Electives/Selectives & the Can MEDS-FMU
- how and what to teach
- practical tips for organization and time management
- recommended references on teaching and resources available to DFCM faculty
Supervisors are required to apply for a University of Toronto faculty appointment.
How it works
- You can accept as many or as few students as you are able in two, four or six week blocks
- Group practices are welcome and the teaching may be shared amongst the group as long as there is one primary supervisor. Involvement of allied health professionals is encouraged.
- Your practice can provide some of the following experiences to the student:
- General practice "bread & butter" medicine
- In-hospital care
- Emergency services
- Low risk obstetrics
- Home visits
- Specialized in a particular area
- At the end of the placements, you complete a clinical assessment and professionalism form on MedSIS.
To apply to supervise undergraduate Electives students, please complete the following online practice profile. A staff member will be in touch after reviewing the completed form.
- The New Preceptor Practice Profilallows up to learn more about you and your practice along with the electives placement proposal which will be added to the electives catalogue.
DFCM Electives Contacts
Claire Murphy MD CCFP M.Med FCFP
Undergraduate Electives and Transition to Residency Coordinator
Undergraduate Program Assistant