Departmental Award: Excellence in Social Responsibility
This award recognizes contributions by DFCM faculty in activities that advance aspects of the department’s mission and values, including social responsibility and accountability. The World Health Organization has defined social accountability as it applies to medical schools, as their “obligation to direct…education, research, and service activities towards addressing the priority health concerns of the community, region, and/or nation they have a mandate to serve.”
Examples of socially responsible activities could include:
- Clinical outreach.
- Community-related or community-directed medical and health-care education.
- Research questions formulated in consultation with a community.
Any faculty member of the Department of Family and Community Medicine is eligible.
The selection committee will consider the following criteria:
- Leadership of programs or projects that identify and/or address a community’s priority health concerns.
- Demonstrated awareness of, and advocacy for, a community’s health needs.
- Contribution to a shared vision for an evolving and sustainable health system.
- Linkage of a relevant project or program to family medicine.
- Sustained (i.e. more than five years) excellence in contributing to relevant projects or programs.
- Evaluation of outcomes.
- Significant contribution to scholarship in an area with demonstrable social value.
One award winner will be selected from each of the following categories:
- Fully Affiliated Sites
- Community Affiliated Sites
- Community Sites (includes FMLE, teaching practices, and integrated community sites)
- HPEs Fully Affiliated Sites
- HPEs Community Affiliated Sites
Please review our Site Affiliation Table to determine which category applies to your nominee.
Nominations can be made by any faculty or staff member of the DFCM, including self- nomination. The nominations will be considered by the DFCM Central Awards Committee. The nominator is responsible for the collection and submission of the award nomination package and informing the nominee of their nomination.
Nominations for this DFCM Award of Excellence must include the following:
- Completed nomination form that includes the supporting signature of a teaching site Chief, DFCM Program Director, Division Head or Supervisor.
- Two letters of support indicating why this individual is being nominated in the selected category. Letters that are the most helpful address the criteria for the award and present evidence supporting the nominee’s excellence in those criteria.
- Additional material documenting evidence of excellence may be submitted. A maximum of 3 additional documents can be added to the nomination. These may include letters of support, project proposals, educational materials, etc.
Please download the form and include it in the nomination package:
Please submit by email the completed nomination form and corresponding award application documentation in a single PDF file by April 15 (annually) to email@example.com