Enhanced Skills Program: Hospital Medicine
The Academic Family and Hospital Medicine Enhanced Skills Year is a PGY3 year designed to prepare family medicine graduates with the clinical skills required for inpatient medicine and prepare them for leadership roles in education and research in hospital medicine. The rigorous program provides clinical competencies and academic work to prepare residents for both clinical and educational/research leadership roles in hospital medicine.
Dr. Benjamin Kaasa, MD, MScCH, CCFP
Department of Family and Community Medicine
List of Faculty Program Committee:
- Dr. Benjamin Kaasa
- Dr. David Esho
- Dr. Francesco Leanza
- Dr. Nasimeh Rakhshani
Length of Program: One Year (52 weeks) – Full Time
Program and Application Eligibility
Applicant must be currently enrolled as a PGY2 in a Canadian Family Medicine Residency at the time of application OR be a Canadian Family Physician in clinical practice with Ministry of Health Re-entry funding.
N.B.: Those enrolled in a PGY3 Enhanced Skills Program at the time of application are NOT eligible to apply to another PGY3 Enhanced Skills position.
For funding eligibility, please see the main Enhanced Skills Program Admissions page.
The Hospital Medicine program adheres to CanMEDS-FM goals and objectives to achieve the following competencies:
- Medical Expert
- Health Advocate
On completion of the enhanced skills year, the PGY3 will gain the necessary knowledge, skills and attitudes to provide general hospital medicine care anywhere in Canada and gain advanced knowledge and skills in education, research and leadership.
For complete details, please read the goals and objectives.
- Family Medicine Inpatient Service (FIS) - TWH - Family Physician Attending –3 blocks (Goals and Objectives)
- Hospitalist Service – TWH – General Internist Attending – 1 block (Goals and Objectives)
- Elective Community Hospital Medicine (Family Medicine attending) – 1 block (Goals and Objectives)
- Elective sub speciality medical rotations – 5 blocks
- Community Hospital Medicine at North York General Hospital – 1 block (Goals and Objectives)
- Critical Care/ICU at North York General Hospital – 1 block (Goals and Objectives)
- Sub-acute hospital medicine – 1 block (Goals and Objectives)
- One half-day per week of Family Medicine clinic (except when on ICU block)
- One half-day day per week for academic learning (except when on ICU block) in support of your academic work
Unique Program Requirements
- This enhanced skills year requires the completion of an academic project, such as either the Clinical Teacher Certificate or the Clinical Research Certificate or approved alternative for graduation.
- A bedside ultrasound course and training in common inpatient procedural techniques is offered each year.
- The PGY3 will prepare and present a grand rounds topic once during the year. Two evening journal club seminars are offered.
Please refer to the Enhanced Skills Admissions page for more details on the application timeline and requirements.
Interview Dates: TBD. The program will contact applicants directly.