Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre
Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre (RVH), an acute-care community hospital, offers a broad range of programs and services in one of Canada’s fastest growing cities. RVH has one of the busiest emergency departments in the province, with over 84,000 visits annually. Each year, the health centre averages 2,100 births, 176,000 imaging tests, 435,000 patient visits and 13,000 surgeries.
RVH Family Medicine Teaching Unit (FMTU) Address:
Chief of Family Medicine
Teaching Site Facilities:
The health centre underwent an expansion which opened in the spring of 2012. This expansion doubled the size of RVH, increasing capacity from 297 to 319 beds and now housing:
- A dedicated Coronary Care Unit
- An Emergency Department that tripled in size
- An expanded Imaging Department which includes space for a second MRI and three interventional radiology suites
- A fully automated laboratory with 4.3 million laboratory tests annually
- Two new state of the art operating rooms
- The Simcoe Muskoka Regional Cancer Centre which will log more than 90,000 visits in its first year
The FMTU is located on site at RVH in a 12,000 square foot purpose built teaching unit. This space is located in the Rotary Place building, and connected to the hospital by an underground tunnel. The new FMTU is fully equipped with state of the art equipment, a procedure room, a dedicated classroom, four call rooms and a large resident lounge.
Proximity to downtown Toronto: 117 km, 120 minute drive.
Barrie is a vibrant, young city with a spectacular waterfront, abundance of golf, skiing, hiking and biking trails, plus many dining and entertainment amenities. The city offers an affordable cost of living and a highly collegial, social and active medical community. It is a great city for families.